Advertisement

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Oracle Database - Restore RMAN-20216 - How to resolve (Restore Database)

I recently encountere in one of my rman procedures when restoring the database RMAN-20216.

This error if you lookup is an internal error and asks for checking with Oracle Support. 

I reviewed my full procedure and by tweaking it a bit, I was able to resolve it. 

Here is what I was doing 

1. restore standby controlfile from <path>;
2. alter database mount;
3. catalog start with <path>;
4. crosscheck backup;
5. delete expired backup;
6. restore database <-- This where I got my error

I looked up quite a lot, but could not find anything conclusive, so by doing some experimenting, I was able to resolve using below.

 
1. restore standby controlfile from <path>;
2. alter database mount;
3. crosscheck backup;
4. delete expired backup;
5. catalog start with <path>;
6. restore database;

I was able to fix it by deleting all expired backups (and archives) before cataloging new ones.
Hope it Helps!!!

No comments:
Write comments